View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2018, 4:46 pm   #20
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Cathode follower anode resistor.

Unfortunately I found studying the Dennis Feucht article above quite frustrating. This is mainly because it is (necessarily ?) written at a higher level than my education allows me to follow. At the end of the article Feucht refers to a Part 2, but I have not been able to locate it. Part 2 addresses the problems faced with amplifiers that have reactive loads and may be more relevant to our discussion. No doubt I would, in any case, have had the same problems understanding Part 2 as I have had with Part 1..

I did get a little bit out of Part 1 however. I already understood that real components are not ideal, for example a conductor will have a small amount inductance and a transistor will have capacitance between its electrodes but Feucht goes on to explain that in the right circumstances this unintended inductances and capacitances can lead to resonance and oscillation at that resonant frequency.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful at your attempt to help me understand this problem David, because I am not, and I certainly don't want anyone to be discouraged from trying to widen my knowledge (such as it is) of this fascinating subject.