Thread: ISB Receivers
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 7:40 am   #96
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: ISB Receivers

The Lowe HF-125 of c.1987 certainly had a synchronous demodulation option. I looked at that before I bought the Liniplex, and in fact had some correspondence about it with the Lowe folks. The synchronous option was fairly simple, without the selectable sideband facility. One would have to offset the tuning to obtain one sideband over the other. (The same was required of the NRD-525/SE3 combination, making it a lot fiddly to use.) Anyway, I had the impression that the HF-125 was essentially a communications receiver, whereas the Liniplex was designed specifically for HF broadcast listening and that alone. So I opted for it, although it was in noticeably higher price bracket. The Lowe would probably have been fine as a “second” receiver, but when the time came for that I chose for the NRD-525, which was generally regarded as “best-in-class” at the time. The following JRC NRD-535 had a selectable sideband synchronous demodulation option, but I was advised that this was intended primarily to allow sideband selectability for communications purposes rather than better audio for listening purposes.

Cheers,