View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 8:42 am   #22
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Oh for a time machine.

I was think more in terms of this equipment being new and un-molested rather than its price

Penciled in is a date of 18/10/47 so this stuff really was pretty fresh then.

I think rather than comparing it to the price of beer it's more helpfull to compare it to the cost of new domestic radios etc.

A Cossor 469 which is a simple 4 valve all dry portable ( and possibly the ugliest set ever made by a major manufacturer) was release in October 1947 at a cost of £13-15s-0d + Purchase Tax which I think was still at 33 1/3%

Still as already said not pocket money prices but for the serious amatuer a real bonanza

To be fair in the Mid 60's when I started my interest, when I bopped an AC126 from my Philips Electronic Engineer ISTR a replacement was about 15/- so 6 weeks pocket money
There was a friendly Radio and TV repair shop at the top of Tregenna Hill St Ives, It was on my way between School and the Bus station. The names have long since faded from my memory but I got a lot of my parts there and occasionally I would be gifted a Radio or TV chassis to play with which I would drag home on the bus

Cheers

Mike T