View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2015, 4:46 pm   #116
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR record player deck identification.

What a fascinating thread! To add to this I can find no mention of the UA10 autochanger which was a blend of the UA8 and the later UA12/14. Like the UA8 it still had the "N" position on the speed control, the overarm was still to the left and the unit usually had a blue/grey finish. Made for a short time from 1958 to 1959 and used mainly in Dansette "Majors" of that time. The UA16 can be distinguished by its "unique" colour cheme over the UA15. These were Dark Blue Metallic and a Black version and made as OEM units for Bush and Murphy record players and radiograms. In terms of the later UA25 (and I agree this was the logical sucessor to the UA14, not the far bette UA15/16) in mid production the gauge of the pressed steel turntable was reduced by 33% so it had less mass and free spnning capability. What's known as "value engineering". Going back in time we can find the 1953 GU4 "Regent" 3 speed single player with the (heavy) bakelight arm and the TC4 crystal cartridge - built like a battleship. Then by 1954/55 came the cream HF100 version with a 10" plastic turntable which was prone to warping. I could go on, but less I appear over-indulgent, I will stop for now! Edward
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote