View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 9:45 pm   #1
Analog Dave
Retired Dormant Member

Default New member and a Telequipment D54

Hi folks

I'm a new member with a new to me Telequipment D54. I have been restoring vintage organs-Hammond Tonewheel, Farfisa Compact transistor etc and vintage tape and wire disc echo machines for years as a collector and hobbyist and have finally got around to searching for a suitable oscilloscope. I wanted something analog from the era that my gear comes from.

I bought the D54 knowing that it might need some work and with the risk that something non-replaceable might be toast such as the CRT. I also have no experience with scopes but I am used to working on dangerous high voltage tube amps.

Having gone through the calibration process in the service manual the problem has become evident. The CRT works and I can set up the position of both channels but the time base control has no effect. Both dots disappear when switched away from the Ext X setting. There is no movement. When I apply signal to a channel there is a thin vertical modulating line but it does not move. All other controls appear to work with position, size, gain, contrast etc.

As with all of my gear I will go through and replace all of the electrolytic caps including the power supply caps but then what?

In the days to come I am hoping that one of you may be able to help me understand how the time base circuit works to help me work this out with logic and elimination.

Best
Dave