View Single Post
Old 25th May 2019, 10:25 am   #19
Sufferinghusban
Triode

Default Re: Yaesu FT-7 No Transmit

Terry, what has me thrown is that when I listen to this radio transmitting it is perfect. It has no power, and the receiver has to be near it with no antenna or you wont hear it, but the CW signal and the USB and LSB voice is clear as a bell. The receiver is about the best I have heard. I have other radios that dont receive as well as this little beast.

I did check the antenna socket and it is fine. The radio is off freq a bit but is adjustable by the front panel adjuster. That side isnt worrying me at the moment.

I have not tested the the meter as such. On rx its doing its bit with strong signals. On TX it barely moves, maybe a needles width. Tuning it does nothing.

Just realised why I couldnt find VR2105 through an access hole! The top cover is gone and that had been staring me in the face from day 1. Moving that VR on TX did nothing either. So the two VR's that are supposed to affect RF out do nothing at all. Yet I am still getting a very weak (but perfect) signal out of it. Today I put it on the antenna, and there was not enough of anything coming out to activate the antenna tuner or the meter on it. There is just enough coming off the radio to allow the receiver next to it to hear it.

Coming back to my playing about before, when I touched certain items on the RF board when transmitting with my multimeter probe the signal increases three fold or more, but still no normal power. Its as if something is blocking the power getting out to the antenna.

VR2105 was turned all the way counter-clockwise when I found it. The VR on the ALC was tight, and turning it didnt achieve anything.

I am still leaning towards the PA ALC areas, but will try to look at the Low Pass Filter Module to see if anything obvious. Cheers