View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2018, 10:02 pm   #8
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: "High Frequency Therapeutic Apparatus".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
What is the modern view on the efficacy - and safety - of being exposed to powerful non-ionising radiation fields?

Wasn't there some concern in the past that engineers working at high powered transmitting stations could have their fertility impaired?

Steve
RF radiation, as might be expected, heats up the body. I suppose that under some circumstances, that could even accelerate natural healing processes. I guess that the century of experience that we now have of transmitter engineers surviving a healthy lifetime of working in relatively high RF fields suggests that they are generally safe.

If that RF heating effect gets concentrated, the eye is the most vulnerable organ - I've heard of radar engineers being blinded by taking the instinctive wrong action of looking down a waveguide that happened to be 'live'. The cornea gets instantly cooked like a fried egg. Somewhat more worryingly, I have known of a couple of radar engineers who suffered sight problems after retirement. Whether that's sheer. coincidence or a possible long term effect of microwave radiation, I have no idea, but it would be useful to hear of any other examples.

Martin