View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 1:45 am   #12
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Another crazy miniamp

UPDATE

After alot of thinking, i finally decided that this thing should be both a pre amp and a power amp.

In the end i used a EABC80 as the driver triode, since one triode is enough. I could have used a EF86, but the EABC80 actually glows!

I'm using the EABC80 with cathode biasing...not how its usually used in radios. It seems to work quiet well tho.

Notice how the speaker has a switch to connect a 4.7ohm load to it. This switch also turns on a indicator light to show that that function is definetly on or off.

This is so it can be connected to a bigger amp, with the valve still being loaded.

Tonight we tried this at a small local show. It worked really well. It worked throug two bands sets (our touring buddies palingenesis also used it). It got warm, but thats about it. No smoke, no funny noises.

Palingenesis used it to add a epic, warm ''plong'' effect to their bass, combined with reverb it sounded really cool. It only clipped a little bit.

The we used it, and i of course put everythign to max. Max distortion on my pedal, max output from my pedal, max preamp gain on my pedal. So there were 5 distortions involves. My pedals preamp beign overdriven, the pedals actual distortion, the dog bowl amp being overdriven my the pedal, and the power amp (my JHS 120W bass head) overdrivign...and i pushed it so hard even the speakers distorted. The sound was phenominal!

So, the 1st prototype works and works really well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ok/dogbowl.gif