View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2020, 10:03 am   #75
Rich400
Tetrode

Default Re: Adding a selectable line input to valve radiogram

Hi Dave and Richard

A healthy debate there!

I am here for the kind assistance with regard to technical goals I have for this gram, but as my posts have prompted your comments I would like to give my view before we return to the job in hand!

For me I try to keep it simple, and its about choices really.

For example before I started in engineering my main priority was not the earth wire, it was the two that made things go (phase and neutral of course). My choice was to make something work.
When I was trained the opposite was the priority, you get the safety right first then worry about the function. You make it safe.

Why I say its about choices, for me it was related to my knowledge level.
When I didn't appreciate how electricity could harm you, and I didn't understand how you protect yourself from it, I wasn't concerned.
But once you do know, its a choice that for me is simple. I either make it safe to todays standard, or I don't have it in the house.

I have invested a bit of time refurbishing the cabinet and will now start on the record deck today, while our healthy debate reaches a conclusion about how technically I am going to make this safe, and add a line input.

At the end of it, I have decided to do the safety mods, although I could have chosen to dump it, another choice.

As I am not paid to perform these works (the gram is for my households use), I have a certain freedom that may not be available to a professional audio repairer, in that to perform this mod correctly will require updating associated drawings, and completing revised on board signage etc etc. This of course is required so that if someone is asked to repair it, knows exactly how it deviates from its original specification, they can repair it safely, this will also be lawfully compliant.

This process is often too time consuming and expensive to perform when being employed to do a simple repair. And I have no issue with the view that once you change it from its original specification, if you don't spend a lot of time on it, you could put your self at risk of litigation. Another choice, although driven by economics.

I could see a possibility with this gram where my tiny grandaughter would find it plugged in. It is also possible that she would fiddle with the volume knob and pull it off and grab the exposed live pot.
This is a possibility I do not accept, and will eliminate this and also the 240v mains in the record cartridge with the kind assistance of all the very professional help from this site.

I hope at least some can see my point here.

Regards Richard

Last edited by Rich400; 30th Oct 2020 at 10:11 am.