View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2020, 12:48 pm   #63
Rich400
Tetrode

Default Re: Adding a selectable line input to valve radiogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
This Thead seems to have taken on a complete life of its own and, to me, seems to have created it's own complexities.......
The OP appears to have good understanding of what's going on here, so why not just add a rotary 2 way switch to the gram input socket, use 2 inline "Y" series 500V DC isolation caps, fit the switch to the rear card cover panel, ensure the mains neutral lead is connected to chassis and get going?!
Perhaps: 1: This is all too simple 2: I'm missing something here 3: I've lost the plot!
Hi Edward

Thanks for your sanity check.

No you haven't lost the plot, and what you suggest is what I had hoped I could implement on the outset.

This thread has been a real help to me and I am in a much better place than when i took delivery of this a week or so ago. In my career I have never seen this type of live chassis set up or lack of earthing arrangements so to implement my desire to input a 'line in' safely is requiring this journey for me.

A recent poster has identified that the 'common' line on the cartridge is chassis grounded and as such is live.

This is something I wish to resolve safely before I am able to achieve my goal. Although this may seem like the tail wagging the dog, until I remove the live element of the chassis I cannot perform my mod.

So all posts are entirely relevant, and very much appreciated.

Your suggestion of isolator caps is another education for me, I haven't fitted anything like this before, so will this give electrical isolation from a potential 240v fault on these lines?