View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 9:37 pm   #6
vishalk
Pentode

Default Re: Armstrong 621 and 625 rebuild and transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaam68 View Post
I refreshed a 625 and it wasn’t that tricky. If you have a lamp limiter it might be an idea to see if it’s working.....definitely worth making one if not to avoid very frustrating mishaps.
Agreed Whaam i have a variac but would mean measuring voltages, this is a quick simple way and i can avoid any further damage. lucky we can still but incandescent bulbs, better stock up.

Quote:
My 625 had a lot of bulbs out which I replaced with led’s, the main smoothing cans were bulged and leaking (common on these) and needed replacing. Cleaning the switches with servisol (carefully) is always one of the first things to do.
All caps will be replaced and yes if i clean the switches and it makes no difference i have spare, also i noticed they are ALPS potentiometers very posh!

Quote:
Again from memory there weren’t that many caps on the 625 so you could just do the lot if planning to keep it. I think the resistors are film so should be fine but measure with a dvm if unsure. The transistors on mike were all fine. One “feature” is the tuning scale only lights up when the tuner input is selected. These were never high end so I wouldn’t go bonkers on “audiophile” components...sound wise I preferred the earlier 500 series.....they do look nice though!
Thanks Mike, these were popular amps and there are some lovely reviews on them. Personally i think for there age they are brilliantly built and well laid out. Seems like it will be a pleasure to work on, i also believe this will sound better then much of the modern integrated amps i see selling!

Mike

Last edited by AC/HL; 7th Jul 2019 at 12:36 am. Reason: Quote corrected