View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 9:30 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HT transformers with extra low-I higher-V winding - what were they for ?

There are so many possibilities that we'll never know unless another source of info on these parts opens up. There are many sorts of complex devices with a basic CRT for display.

The HT winging voltage suggests valves. Big ones, or lots of small ones. The lack of heater windings might counter this suggestion, or else the bobbin for the core size was full, and a companion LT transformer is used.

For most typical valves there is a ratio of heater power to useable output power, or mA of output current for rectifiers. This efficiency ratio got improved in stages by successive improvements in cathode technology. Honking great transmitting valves used the other escape route - extremely high anode voltage.

If the application had used a lot of small signal valves only, the HT winding would be less to avoid losses in HT droppers to get down to their comfort level of HT.

So, this HT level suggests that something needs appreciable power via fairly powerful valves, dominating the HT consumption, and any small signal processing would be simple enough for the HT needs to be met via droppers.

Apart from the mystery winding, this transformer would be a good fit for a nice audio amplifier.... And except for being made to very expensive standards.

I've now got this mental picture of soldiers gathered round a hifi setup with CRT VU meters. MIL-spec music!

David