View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 11:16 pm   #77
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8KBG Tony View Post
Hugo,

Frankly, I find your efforts are overdone.

and....... a rust-free-ego project.

Tony
Tony,

I will address these remarks in a friendly manner as suggested by the moderator.

There are no official standards for restoration techniques and for the most part we are all self taught in this area. And whether a restoration is over or underdone is a matter of conjecture and healthy debate.

I have been fortunate to be doing restorations since the early 1970s' and I had the late John Stokes (author of 70 years of Radio Tubes & Valves) as my mentor in those early days. Over the decades that followed I worked to perfect techniques to bring valve gear back to its former glory. It hasn't gone unnoticed, I have been awarded prizes twice by the American Wireless Association.

You might like to look at the under chassis photo of this TV restoration, an Andrea KTE-5 which was bought back from the dead, all capacitors re-stuffed and re-wired with matching fabric covered wire:

http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/TH...DREA_KTE-5.pdf

So while it could be said that my restoration work is overdone, perhaps another way to interpret it is that, with hard work, I have got it to an excellent standard. This has always been my target for restorations. And just because a person sets a high standard for their work, doesn't mean it is an "ego" thing, it is just the drive to get a job done as perfectly as possible. It probably would be better labelled an obsession, if one wanted to put a label on it.

So when I see someone like Nick doing the hard work too, it does really impress me, because I know how hard it is, and I can't make any apologies for not being impressed at other times.