View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2017, 11:32 pm   #66
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Good evening!,
Well the chassis and CRT have been reunited at long last The rubber mask was removed and given a good clean. It's lovely and supple with no sign of degradation so I've no idea what it's made of- its similar to the door seals on washing machines!

The front Perspex moulded implosion screen was in a terrible state- it was covered in scuffs and deep scores and a multitude of scratches. Luckily there were no cracks and it was still clear.
Starting with 400 wet & dry, the damaged areas were sanded down with a block until smooth. Then 800 then 1500 grade used wet. Having access to bodyshop equipment, the next process was 4000 grade wet pads on a random orbit sander and finally polishing with 3M Fastcut compound and an electric mop.
The end result, though I say so myself, is perfect. A perfectly clear, scratch free screen with no noticeable undulations! I did the same to the GEC 2000 DST with the same result so I was well pleased
So the re-assembly is continuing with more and more bits gradually being added to the chassis. It's starting to look more like a TV again rather than a pile of bits!
What I would like to do, if anyone can help, is to re-create the Mazda CRT label which is missing. There is a mark where it was and it looks to have been about 5" by 3". It is a CME2101 CRT. I am not sure how to do this as my computing skills are woeful so even if I had a picture or a scan of a label, I would not know how to print it out the correct size. So if anyone can help, I would be really grateful!!
I also need the the black plastic bit that pushes over the pins and locates the CRT base socket- I've nicked one off another tube temporarily. Also the spring that earths the dag on the back of the tube has rotted away so I need one of those as well. I'll put a wanted post in the relevant section with more details.
Here are some pictures of the latest progress.
Many thanks
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0494.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	147705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0497.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	147706   Click image for larger version