View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2011, 11:04 am   #115
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

Thanks Dom & John. The ion trap was completely removed as were all the coils when I completely stripped the cabinet; I needed to carry both the chassis and CRT into the front bedroom for storage and couldn't handle both at once so separated them.

Many thanks for the pictures John and I notice the ion trap on your set is 180 degrees rotated to mine as I took plenty of pictures whilst stripping the set. Picture of mine below.

I'm a bit short of time today but I've just had an hour in the workshop and have a bit more information.

I dare not rush so have not tried shorting the cathode to g1 as I can't find my way around the pins which are baffling me;I notice if I pull the socket clear there are twelve connectors but only seven tags and the tag numbers don't make any sense to me so better safe than sorry and I can always spend more time on this later. I'm used to normal valve holders with all the pins numbered but this holder I notice a big gap between pins 5&6; these numbers are on the holder but it appears to me some of the connections have been skipped? Although I am racing forward at breakneck speed as a novice sometimes I get a feeling to hold back a bit rather than jump in and do something reckless.

I have however taken voltage readings on the tags that are connected and these read clockwise from pin5;Pin5 85V; the next pin I found varies with rotating the brightness control between 212V & 342V; 94v; 74V; 74V.

I notice a voltage drop between 94V & 85V these being capacitor resistor coupled (0.1 and 220K both new) but no voltage drop between 74V & 74V these being resistor coupled (100K also new) without all your expert help I would be curious at this and wonder if there is no voltage drop due to current not being drawn? Out of interest I snipped one end of each of these two resistors one read 111K the other 268K so whilst at it decided to change both with new items on spec.

Two pins read 0V on DC range but one read 13VAC so I assume these to be the heater connections? I'm slowly trying to find my way around and make sense of everything.

As I was wary about touching the ion trap with the set powered up I first checked to see if it had any voltage on it but as it hadn't I tried the ion trap in many positions and even rotated it 180 degrees wondering if this had anything to do with the LOPT phasing? Yes I get strange ideas but I'm not scared of looking silly as I'll never learn if I don't ask. I once rewound the primary of a LOPT and phasing was mentioned. I also had to phase balance my 3 phase machinery to the 10KVA transformer I wound so these are all snippets of information I have floating around in my head.

I'm now busy for most of the day as I need to catch up on mail and this afternoon we expect visitors but hopefully I'll be clear this evening.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco chassis (11).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	56204