View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2014, 10:53 am   #130
Rhgbristol
Triode

Default Re: Garrard record player deck identification.

I have now scanned and uploaded my 1981 UK Garrard catalogue to Vinyl Engine site, together with the instruction book for the GT255ap and GT355ap decks.

To update the Garrard story, with what I believe was the last range of turntables Garrard marketed in the UK in the period 1980 to 1983....

GT255AP a fully automatic belt drive deck, with ac synchronous motor
GT355AP a fully belt drive deck, with dc servo controlled motor

DD450 a semi automatic direct drive deck, with coreless dc motor
DD455 a fully automatic direct drive deck, with coreless dc motor

DDQ550 a semi automatic direct drive, with coreless dc motor
DDQ650 a semi automatic direct drive, with coreless dc motor

All share the same glass filled polyester chassis, isolating suspension feet, and cover.
All have 9" straight arms with detachabe headshells; the latter two models having a quite high spec precison cone and ball race bearing.

The DDQ650 that i own, as well as having some of the best rumble and wow and flutter figures quoted for any deck ever produced by Garrard, also sounds superb with both moving magnet cartridges (audio technica At95 and Shure m97xe) and a moving coil Dynavector dv10x4.

It tracks all tracks of the Hifi News test record effortlessly (disgracing two well known decks by Linn in fact costing many times more!) and sounds superb.

A real overlooked gem - well worth seeking out, if you can find one.

Ignore the derogatory comments about 'plastic era Garrard' and if you can find a good one, let your ears decide.