View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2018, 1:16 am   #34
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Dismantling LOPT's

Good evening,
After finding the damage pictured in my last post, I was pretty convinced that was the reason for failure rather than actual winding damage. Before proceeding to do a full repair and varnishing the winding, I wanted confirmation that it was actually going to work. I decided to temporarily cobble it back together and test it out in the set.
This I did with the transformer balanced on a pile of books and hooked up with longer wires- It was a real lash up but was only to prove a point!
With the EHT winding exposed to the air, I was expecting some arcing & corona so I powered the HT from the variac to keep the energy in the transformer as low as possible.
As it turned out, it all worked perfectly and there was no discharge even at full HT! On top of that I was rewarded with a fantastic picture- pin sharp and high contrast.
I had forgotten just how good the picture used to be on this set- Most of my other sets have Mazda tubes but this Mullard AW43-80 knocks spots of them!
This set has had a bit of a chequered history whilst in my possession for the last 20 years, so it deserves a proper overhaul. I'll start a thread about it in the next few weeks.
All the best
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0617.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	156157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0618.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	156158   Click image for larger version