View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2021, 3:10 pm   #43
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Going Mobile with Amateur Radio

Way way back when four star was less than a quid a gallon and filling stations offered quadruple (whatever that meant) Green Shield stamps I used to operate 2m mobile with a fist mic. This was mainly to relieve long boring evening journeys on motorways when, in my aged jalopy, I rarely ventured out of the left hand lane and the motorways were, certainly by today’s standards, sparsley populated. (It was so long ago I could drive at a steady 50mph and not be harrassed in any way and can remember some 150 mile journeys where I overtook nothing.) Even then, once I rejoined the non-motorway roads I usually ceased operating as dealing with ordinary roads and changing gear, etc., made operating far too dangerous IMHO on urban roads.

I was so pleased when the 2005 mobile phone law came out as it had become expected that work phone calls were answered no matter what. (In fact, at one place I worked at allowing the phone to ring more than three times was just short of a hanging offence.) I was determined not to have a hands-free and now had the perfect excuse for picking up calls at my destination and/or when convenient and safe for me – especially as they usually involved some technical content.

Given the new EMF regulations, which will probably end amateur radio for some who live in properties cheek by jowl with their neighbours, going mobile is one way of continuing the hobby and I have considered this though it would be parked up somewhere on a suitable high point.

I live in an urban area and there’s absolutely no way I would consider operating mobile – even with hands-free – in today’s aggressive Grand Prix cum Gumball Rally road conditions. Often I don’t listen to the radio, and even carrying passengers, who are generally aware when you are in situations that need all your concentration, can be a distraction. Perhaps it’s an age thing but I find I need all my wits about me, and then some, these days.