View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2016, 1:47 pm   #34
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: 'THAT' Capacitor. What is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW F102 View Post
I geuss that all of the resistors and capasitors should ALWAYS be checked during the restoration of a radio / amplifier. If they are not in spec then it pays to change them.
When you say "in spec", don't just check capacitors for capacitance value, check them for resistance values too. Mainly, that's how wax caps (and other types) are 'bad', they have capacitance and resistance, there should be infinite resistance (approaching if not at, open circuit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW F102 View Post
I do wonder if people who talk about 'the valve sound' are used to sets with duff resistors and capasitors making them think that all valve stuff should sound like that.
I firmly believe that that is the case - certainly with guitar amplifiers where players (myself included sometimes) are looking for a particularly gnarly, nasty distortion, and the out of spec and faulty components provide that. I remember the late great Rory Gallagher complaining that he had had his vintage Fender amplifier overhauled and it came back with the sound ruined. Doubtless the tech found some leaky caps and resistors out of spec, changed them and the amp was much cleaner afterwards!