View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2006, 1:26 pm   #4
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Graves Vulcan 2 - How to change the tuning range

Thanks for the input. I've attached a few pictures. The set doesn't have a plug in coil, and thankfully it hasn't been modified at all since it was made, it all looks totally original and works extremely well. I don't know what frequency Radio 5 Live is on, but in this area BBC Radio Devon is on 375 letres, I suspect that the set needs to tune down lower than it currently does.

The set is a 2-valve TRF from the mid 1920's and uses a PM1HF and a PM2 valve. It's housed in an oak cabinet with an Ebonite panel at the front.

It has "Short" and "Long" wave, short wave is of course medium wave. What sort of value variable ondenser would you consider using with the aerial? I certainly don't intend to modify the set at all, but I don't mind connecting something externally, or even across the tuning condenser so long as it can be removed.

I was amazed actually at the qualitry of the sound from such an early set. It would just be nice to be able to pick up the local BBC radio Devon transmissions. The signal is pretty strong on 375 metres, so if I can just get the set within that range it should work well.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graves Vulcan 2 Valve Radio Pic 1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	3418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graves Vulcan 2 Valve Radio Pic 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	3419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graves Vulcan 2 Valve Radio Pic 3.jpg