View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2019, 11:19 pm   #10
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Dilemma

The Dansette electronics are now done, with the Hunts moldseal capacitor and the EL84 cathode resistor replaced. Hardly noticeable levels of hum, so I guess the HT caps are OK. HT DC current draw about 700 microamps with valve removed.
Tone control was open circuit between one end and wiper, and had risen in value from 25K to 1,7Meg!
Fortunately I had an exact replacement in my pot stash- which probably came from the same scrap chassis that provided the replacement mains transformer- so had been hibernating for about 35 years!

I took great delight in watching my 21 year old daughter marvel at the autochanger working. New stylus fitted and volume IS adequate!

Well, mostly working anyway, after a going over with carefully applied sewing machine oil and grease to relevant parts.
Everything seems fine except the UA14 autochanger mechanism doesn't always drop the record( but the arm still travels across as though it has and would nosedive the stylus if I hadn't managed to catch it). If the records are moved slightly on the "stalk" then they will drop, but ALL drop at once. The deck plays and completes all other actions normally.

Any ideas please, as I would like to get it working properly so daughter can play a stack of records as originally intended.