View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2019, 4:06 pm   #1
HoraceBatchelor
Triode

Default Horace needs help. Bush VHF70.

Hello everyone its been a while. I hope im not going to seem like an idiot asking this.
Last week i got myself a Bush vhf70, in great condition looks wise, other than the expected wear and tear marks that 60 odd years brings. So i decided to spray the front trim an identical gold colour, freshen up the grille cloth and soak the grubby knobs for an hour or two. By doing that the radio is going to look like it is worth every penny of the £15.10.6 it cost originally.

Hardly got going, then stopped in my tracks, I couldn't get the knobs to come off. I'm a strong chap with a vice like grip, but this little Bush guy had me beat. There's only so much pressure you can use when doing a job like this I thought.

So not wanting to damage anything I decided to risk looking like an idiot and ask you guys, because some of you must have had the same problem at least once and known the remedy.

But since that initial attempt i've looked again and come to the conclusion that i may be able to remove the chassis with the knobs in situ. They go through the dial glass, so is it safe to undo the clips that seem to be holding the glass to the cabinet and slide the whole lot out?

But i am aware that if i can get the cabinet empty I will still have the problem of freeing the knobs. Will some sort of freeing agent (wd40) safely do the job?