View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2016, 5:47 pm   #29
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Starting My Journey

I'd agree Paul.
Whilst it's true that many modern designs are better, the difference might not be all that obvious when partnered with period or budget amps. Also there's the issue of sensitivity, i.e. how loud the speaker goes for a given input power. Older designs harked from the days when 10 watts was (and in my view still is) a very respectable power output and thus were more efficient.
My Dad has still got a pair of 1971 vintage Wharfedale Denton mk1, they still work and look good. And it was notable just how much "louder" they are than the fancy Linn speakers that replaced them. The Dentons are doing sterling service in the kitchen and he has to turn the volume down when listening there.
And the sound quality... Remarkably good. They do have an 8 inch Bass/mid driver though and I think that helps. The Tweeters are a bit off pace but not really so much that a judicious tweak of a tone control couldn't help if so inclined.
Other speakers worth looking at would be late 1990's/early 2000's Monitor Audio floorstanders. I have a pair of Monitor3 Gold that are used in a second room system and they are quite sensitive, certainly a leak stereo20 makes them go quite loud. sound smooth too. Pay up to £150 for a mint set. They are veneered in real "tree wood" which I feel is why they have lasted so long cosmetically. Oh and don't worry about "Bi Wiring" I've done my own experiments and suffice to say I didn't persist. If you get speakers with two sets of terminals just wire em up in parallel if theres no linking wires/strips.

You've got a good amp it seems. If anyone else is reading this i heartily recommend seeking out a tidy late model (all black case) Audiolab 8000A. Slightly more expensive than the crowd but built like a tank and can be easily serviced by a knowledgable technician. And Useful Tone controls for those who like them. Excellent moving magnet and moving coil RIAA stage too. Can also function as preamplifier without fiddling inside.

I reckon any decent CD player from the 90's onwards will give a good account of itself. Philips/Marantz are always a good gamble I feel but any proper mainstream Hi Fi player will be nice.

yes Paul, Denon Tuners. I have a TU260L that an ex workmate gave me! And they are amazingly capable radios. only very slightly worse than my fancy Arcam tuner sound wise and better on marginal strength signals than it.

Just my two pennorth, opinions as a wise man said are like backsides, everybody has one!

A.