Thread: Emi Tr-90
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2005, 8:43 pm   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Smile Emi Tr-90

This machine came all the way from Scotland, it has taken me a good few hours to oil, check and power up, first time on and it tripped the mains (Good job I was using a veriac or it would have done some serious damage) The recorder half works apart from the interconnect box (Cause of the short circuit), I need to get the take up spindle straitened as its been hit sometime in the past, it works but a little noisy. The recorder is almost complete apart from one thing, there seems to be a tension arm missing (Rests on the tape of the supply reel), this could be one of two things, its been removed or it has been converted to a BTR4/2 (BBC specs). Does anyone know of this? I find in the hifi year book that there are models with and without this arm. Also I am looking for a replacement glass for one of the meters as its missing, can anyone help?

Also what vintage is this? the Hi-Fi year book sate its 1957 however the one in the books has more metal work covering the heads but does not have the tension arm like mine, the recorder seems to span from 1957 to 1962 but none of the models look like mine.

Some specs of the machine;

Frequency response from 50Hz to 15Khz @15inch/sec

price in;

1957 £102

1959 £90 6s, (typo? )

1961 £588

1962 £625

Came in consul or portable, took maximum spool size of 10.5 inches, a unique counter unlike any I have come across before, a rotating drum with numbers on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR-90.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recorder.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	125  

Last edited by reel-to-reel-man; 28th Jan 2005 at 8:54 pm.