Thread: Spy Set SSTR-1
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2018, 10:38 pm   #15
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Spy Set SSTR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Max anode dissipation is given as 12 watts.
Your source, please?

Here in the trustworthy Radio Museum, it clearly states at the bottom of the page, in 'Absolute Maximum Operating Conditions ... Pout, 5.5W'

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0015.htm

If you multiply the maximum anode current by the maximum voltage, you get close to your 12W, but that doesn't mean the valve can tolerate it. It is 100% overdriven if we do this.

Many power devices can be operated in pulse mode without exceeding these conditions, but that isn't realistic for CW. Triode-connected in one of its historic roles, as a TV vertical deflection amplifier --i,e, in pulse mode, with over 1KV on the anode-- it could dissipate 9W.

(Can anyone refresh my memory on the *historic* (not current) frequency, hence period, of the vertical deflection circuit pulses, contemporary with this valve?) I'm thinking in the range tens of uS to sub 1mS...

But if we actually look at the detail on the downloadable PDF for 'typical operation', when it is actually doing the useful work that we value, the valve is derated to 4.5W out with 250V on the anode.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 9th Feb 2018 at 11:00 pm.