View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2017, 9:28 am   #49
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Nearly a Sobell 1000 DST!!

Quote:
Personally, like many TV enthusiasts here, it's all about getting something on the screen first - top priority. Then, the faults will be displayed and appropriate fault finding can begin.

In my opinion, testing the CRT, LOPT, etc before powering up can lead you into a false sense of expectation. Like your flat tube and cracked LOPT, in your mind they are already faulty, whereas you may be surprised to find they will work!
Hi Simon,
I Guess there are a number of different approaches to resurrecting a TV that has not seen power for 40 years and of course the eternal question of repair versus restoration.
This set had a good layer of pungent smelling black dust and fluff but had the potential to clean up very nicely. I would much rather get all that out the way first so a major strip down makes that much easier. It's also very informative about the construction of the set.
I am also not a fan of contorting myself into odd shapes to change components on inaccessible PCB's- I would much rather work on a board on the bench where I can see everything I then work through the board, following the circuit, testing and replacing components that are very likely to be faulty such as high value resistors, Hunts caps etc.
Again, I would much rather do all that in one go. I can also check things like the system switch and the continuity of the pots.
I like to know if the LOPT is likely to work or not so I had been doing some 'ringing' experiments with different transformers to try and ascertain this. For me, these things make a project interesting and increase my knowledge.
I also think testing a CRT is useful beforehand to find out if it is likely to give a usable picture. I agree that rejuvinating it at this stage is probably not a great idea though.
Don't worry, there will still be plenty of proper fault finding for me to do once it's all back together!
So there you go, that's my preferred method, but I accept that other methods are available!!
All the best
Nick