View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2021, 8:34 pm   #9
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: Tyne Tees Television outside broadcast vehicle.

Hello All,

If I may respond to 3 in 1

John, this is the YTV 'version' of the TTTV truck. Theirs was similar - and also a Marconi with 4X Marconi MkVIIs which covered the visit of US President Jimmy Carter. It was all Yorkshire TV's fault that we wound up as Tyne Tees, but I don't regret it. 'Tyne Tees' seems to make people from the region smile as it's remembered with affection. That's nice.

Refugee, it's the standard Marconi OB truck of the period and exported all over the world (except to the BBC - nuff said). YTTTV is based on a Bedford KML lorry chassis, the old 'camper van' one is - like 'Southern' - based on a Bedford VAL twin steer coach chassis. The 'camper' van is actually quite a truck and is a work in progress. For more details see: https://becg.org.uk/projects/abc-thames/

Ken, many thanks for the comments - it's much appreciated. This has all been done from empty vehicle to working truck with no external money other than a few beans from the Golden Age TV operation and some support for YTTTV's paint job. 'Southern' is the one for your old ITV region, of course, and she did venture over to the Isle of Wight from time to time. See: https://becg.org.uk/projects/southern-television/

Interestingly, the 'camper van' ABC-Thames truck was on the Isle of Wight for many years when it was said 'camper van'. You're very welcome to visit. We did venture back down there to Southampton for a Southern TV reunion - what a show that was!

I hope that the mods will be OK with this - I know it's wandered off to vehicles, but they are unique TV vehicles which have had a vast amount of time spent on them and done entirely without financial support.

The big question is what happens in the (hopefully) very long term? BECG is the relatively new umbrella organisation drawing many of the principal surviving trucks together. I can't say too much right now, but we are planning for long-term survival and public viewing (from time to time). We also need to pass on the skills associated with the analogue TV kit - particularly cameras, VTR and telecine - and this is where we hope to score some brownie points with potential supporters!

Thanks for the opportunity to put across some of what we do now as BECG - it's a tough ride at times - but I won't bore you with that!

Best regards,

Paul Marshall