View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2021, 9:22 pm   #42
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: "Converting" 4:3 to 16:9 (Aspect Ratios)

Exactly Charlie. When an Aircraft came down short of Ringway [in the Stockport suburbs] they had 16mm footage offered but it wasn't good enough! I was really surprised to hear about that much later. As a Dylan enthusiast, I'm forever grateful that his 1965 and 66 Tours were captured forever by the late great D A Pennebaker using lashed together "hand held" 16mm gear that could be operated by one person. [I believe he was honoured with a Congressional Medal or something from the Smithsonian]. The 16mm BBC Film Units at the time involved a cumbersome 5 man crew including the sound recordist! Brian Eno once did an Art Installation [at MOMA?] which was a Skyscraper filmed over several hours as it slowly got dark and the lights came on, using a Video Cam [turned sideways] and then shown continuously on one of the new fangled WS TV sets stood on it's end, so you literally got the full height ratio It was surprisingly effective

Dave

There is some film quality parallel here with me being told at College that Dylan didn't reach the standard for a "Modern Poet", as he hadn't been dead for 50 years. I said but he's only 25! Beat's me how he got that Nobel Prize. Times must have been a'changing.

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Jan 2021 at 9:39 pm.