View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2020, 9:13 am   #1234
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

I once met the chap and found him sincere. I think he really believes what he says. He is free to do so. I am free to choose what I do and don't believe in.

The try-something-out-and-see argument doesn't work on me. If it did, I'd already have been bankrupted by all the medicinal remedies, car mpg boosting magnets and such stuff. I have to exercise some selectivity over just what I do try. I have to believe it has a chance of delivering what it promises, and that belief hinges on there either being a reasonable physical mechanism, or on careful testing by neutral parties, with care taken to avoid results due to expectations.

The stuff on RFI effects of fancy cables IS reasonable. Things can be done to cables to reduce their effectiveness at collecting environmental radio noise/signals, and routing them into amplifiers etc. However, this is also an indication of how poorly designed plenty of electronics is. It would be better to add a few components to amplifiers and do some decent as-used EMC susceptibility testing. Ferrite cores on cables a la mode for computer monitor cables are cheap and helpful. The silly high prices aren't justifiable as there are cheaper ways. Maybe the prices are a result of very low turnover?

I wonder if RA remembers me? I'm the (then) young man who when told in his shop "You won't get anything better sounding for any less" replied "A wheelbarrow full of concert tickets?"

David