View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 10:12 am   #17
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: RCA TR-600 Quadruplex Video Recorder. (Actually a 600A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypilgrim View Post
Hi there, thank you for that info, no my headwheel will not lock up in tonewheel mode. The air guide doesn’t come in either as the head doesn’t achieve velocity lock. I can sort of trick it by reducing the frequency of the pll on the servo reference board, it unlocks the pll and makes it unstable but the slowing of the headwheel sort of makes the velocity lock detector trip and the guide comes in. At that point I’ve got a wobbly sort of picture (you can hear that the headwheel isn’t steady) and on the waveform monitor I’ve got something resembling a video waveform. I’ve removed the link to stop the video being muted when the servo is unlocked. The problem is around the op amp in the tonewheel servo is think, it’s output is stuck low, whatever happens to the inputs and I think this is the cause of this problem. Doubtless there will be others.

This week I have had a bit of luck and I now have a complete set of manuals for the machine including the training manuals. This is a night and day difference. I have to thank Ted and Ken at ZIN VTR works in America for that, they found me a set for PAL and of the correct age for my machine as there were variants. I’m going to move on with it some and then put up a collection of photos and a video of progress.
Cheers
Andy

You have found some great contacts in the US, I'm sure you'll get it going, 1973 was indeed an earlyish version, the later models were more complicated with the various options fitted - Recortec reel servos, the AE600 and automatic head wheel phasing for editing purposes.

PS.Don't forget the point I made about head 1 replaying the vertical interval - if you can see them on the monitor, do check the position of the stab dots.

Last edited by red16v; 2nd Jul 2021 at 10:20 am.