View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2021, 8:15 am   #20
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Cracked outer glass on twin panel CRTs

Central Tubes did not remove the faceplate when rebuilding bonded tubes or Rimband types including colour. They were very good tubes enjoying a very long life, the colour types were rebuilt for the BBC.
The faceplate is fixed to the CRT with a soft, what appears to be a clear Silicon compound.
If you check the point at the edge where it joins the CRT you will find it quite 'squishy.'

I think you will find it almost impossible to remove the faceplate and certainly refit it.
It may be possible to remove the plate and use it in conjunction with an ordinary tube such as the AW59-90/91 but some form of conventional mounting would have to be devised.

It would be extremely dangerous to heat the tube and the thought of ovens horrifies me! I recently experienced a spontaneous implosion of a 9" MW22-7 tube that was fortunately in a packing box. It had been brought over by the owner for testing and went pop about one hour after we had placed it back in the car in it's box and that was bad enough! He discovered the gun assembly under the driver's seat! Heating or stressing a 23" tube would not be recommended. You have been warned. Take care, John.