View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2021, 4:08 pm   #17
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Cracked outer glass on twin panel CRTs

If the faceplate is the bonded type with mounting lugs on the corners you won't get it to come off without it cracking. The American tubes use just a piece of glass the same shape as the face of the tube, once the bonding gives it is removable . The bonded type with the mounting lugs wraps around the tube and is very strong as it has to hold the weight of the tube. The mounting lugs being part of the outer glass. Even if you could get the glass off without breaking it you would need a very strong bond to the replacement tube. I don't know how the re-gunners did it. I do know some didn't supply re-gunned twin panel tubes.

The original tube didn't look that bed on the pictures I saw, has it been given chance for the emission to pick up with a good run, possibly at a slightly increased heater voltage? The thought of necking a vintage tube fills me with horror, the poor thing has survived this long and now in the hands of an enthusiast where it should be safe it gets destroyed...!
If the bonded screen can be removed from the one with the cracked screen that tube may be ok as a replacement for a unprotected tube in a set that uses a different type of implosion method. But I wouldn't fancy doing it.. I did donkey's years ago. I removed a bonded faceplate from a 19" tube, it came off in chunks with bits of the outer glass still attached to the adhesive. I wouldn't attempt it now though! I was much less concerned of the dangers back then! I replaced tubes on a almost daily basis with no protective gear whatsoever and old tubes were often smashed with a brick just for fun! How I got this far without serious injury I don't know!

Rich

Last edited by slidertogrid; 5th Jun 2021 at 4:16 pm.