View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2021, 7:24 pm   #6
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: Cracked outer glass on twin panel CRTs

What follows may be considered very risky, but with care it's seems to be OK.
I've separated several 7" broadcast camera viewfinder tubes using a technique described to me by a guy in the USA. He also supplied me with a 9" CRT reprocessed the same way. You can find demos on Youtube. I've never had any success with solvents.

I don't know about these specific domestic tubes but I would have thought that the same principle would apply. Cataracts and cracks are the big problems, of course.

This sounds scary, but it's probably what the reprocessing guys did back in the day.
The basic idea is to put the CRT face uppermost in an oven at gas Mark 5 for about 20 minutes letting it warm with the oven. This causes the glue to disintegrate and you can just lift off the outer glass when it's cooled. It's worked a treat for me and because the tube is in the oven and 'boxed in', it's fairly safe. However, if it did implode you would have to answer to the wife which may not be too safe in itself. Obviously, you need to be very careful and wear protection when handling the bare tube.

You must remove any plastic round the gun pins before heating it because that melts too!

I do not know what the score might be with larger tubes but I'm told that it works just the same given a large enough oven and suitable support for the bowl.

Clearly, this all comes with stern H&S warnings all over it, 'own risk' etc. etc. but it's probably safer than trying to cut through it mechanically.

Not sure that we should be discussing this - legal stuff etc. etc.

Best regards,

Paul M

Last edited by PaulM; 4th Jun 2021 at 7:32 pm.