View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2018, 12:51 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Emerson Big Miracle

Thanks for the nice words.

The mains cable is not as bad as it looks as there is a metal grommet fitted in the chassis but it does need something done about retention.

The dial lamp is set above the dial in a shallow half circle recess in the cabinet. As the catalin is opaque, all that happens is that area of the cabinet glows bright yellow making the dial even less visible. I do wonder if it is supposed to have a silver paper lining to the recess.

The knobs are apparently made from the same plastic as the speaker fret and rarely survive. They should be a bullet style. I might one day fabricate some and spray with black paint.

It came with a homemade ply back but the screw holes have been filled with padding and I think wood screws used (at least there was one in it).

It also came with a line dropper adaptor cable for 240V. It is in reasonable condition but I am not using it and have sealed it in a plastic bag as it probably contains asbestos.

This is another one of those cost saving AC/DC sets where a single pole on/off switch disconnects the mains from chassis. Depending on how you insert the plug, you either get electrocuted when the set is on or when its off. There is minimal attempt to prevent touching parts that are connected to chassis so I guess many of these sets would have been wrecked when the user received a shock and involuntarily sent the set flying across the room.