View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 2:08 pm   #1
SeanMcK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Megger MIT310 with corroded? battery terminals

I realise it's a bit young to be vintage but...
I have wanted an insulation tester for a while and was offered a dead MIT310, it looked like the problem was corroded battery terminals which had no connection to the negative end of their respective battery, see attached photo.
It turns out that that diagnosis was correct as a jury rigged repair has the meter functioning apparently perfectly.
Does anyone have such a unit? If so could you photograph the battery terminals and post those photos? I can not find such a photo on the web.
The corrosion residue appears to be rust and on close inspection one -ve terminal had what looked like the base (one turn) of a VERY fine spring attached. Therefore I assume the rust stain is from steel springs which have failed through corrosion.
The terminals are only available as part of a new rear case.
I have googled small springs but haven't found anything that looked suitable and was thinking of canabalising the springs from something like the 10 way battery holder shown. It looks feasible for the 3 terminals that link adjacent battery rows but I think the problem is going to be the terminal ringed in red, it is in a bad way and relatively narrow.
The current solution for this terminal is also shown.
As suggestions welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Megger MIT310 photo 4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	153461   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 way AA battery holder.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	153462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Megger MIT310 photo 5.jpg