View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2012, 9:05 pm   #9
Mans Veldman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1556A High imp. phones

Thanks everybody for all the replys so far, what a magnificent forum this is.

For the moment I fitted a 0,47uF/400V polyester capacitor. The cabling runs from the bakelite phonejack through cable lugs mounted on the RF-Deck. The wire used has cotton/rubber isolation, as frequently used in that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Nice front panel by the way. Mine has a milky appearance.
My receiver also was in quite a state. Although fully original it was very dirty/greasy. This was my luck, because where there's grease it won't rust. I've taken the RF-deck from the receiver and thoroughly cleanded the chassis and RF-deck. I cleaned the front panel using a degreaser en brush. After that I rinsed with water, dried it and then rubbed the front panel with a tiny bit of parrafine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Yes interesting. If you had not researched the white panel Mans, I would have assumed it must be a much later addition and not original.
Apart from the white panel there are other modifications wich seem to date from WWII period also. On the back there is a socket and plug mounted. According the indication it should be used to connect "Control Unit 88". If the Control Unit is not used a shorting plug should be placed. The socket and plug carry the typical Air Ministry markings (letters A & M and the crown).

The socket is wired as follows: R55 (connected at the RF Gain pot.) is taken from GND and connected to the socket on the back. The other pin of the socket is connected to GND so with the shorting plug in place R55 is again connected to GND, otherwise it is connected to "Control Unit 88". Presumable "Control Unit 88" is used to mute the receiver when used with a transmitter or maybe Control Unit 88 is used in combination with Diversity Receive. Does anybody know this "Control Unit 88"?

Also visible on the last picture is the hole on the right side where once an alternative Aerial Socket was mounted. My first impression was someone mounted a PL-259 socket, but that doesn't fit. The hole is bigger, and the screwsholes are wider apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1556A-800-470n.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	72630   Click image for larger version

Name:	R1556A-800-inside.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	72631   Click image for larger version

Name:	R1556A-800-socket.jpg
Views:	235