View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 7:41 pm   #9
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Anyone for a group restoration project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Yes, a Philips is a good idea as many were sold (with some minor variations) to much of Europe. We need to avoid one with too many Phlips quirks though...
Since several forum members have suggested Philips, I investigated this a bit today.

Surprisingly, if we are talking about buying online, then it looks like Grundig is a better bet than Philips, assuming the intention is to find a 'common' starter set. Philips made lots and lots of radios, but unfortunately they also made lots and lots of models.

The number of sets up for sale online seems to be about comparable, strangely enough. So, with the lower number of models, it was fairly easy to locate previously sold specimens of the Grundig model I initially had in mind. Four has been sold alone within the last month on ebay.de, and those were found by only searching for an exact keyword match on the subject line.

In the Philips camp I cannot say that I have even managed to limit the search to a group of models, and much less a particular model. There are of course plenty up for sale, all different...

Also, and Paul Stenning touched the subject, from my investigations it seems to me that Grundig's models have much more in common, technically, than the Philips models do. With a late fifties Grundig, you can be reasonably certain what you will find inside one of the better tabletop models. With Philips ... well...

I'm undecided.

Frank N.