View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 11:35 am   #6
paulsherwin

Default Re: Anyone for a group restoration project?

The choice of a set to use as an example will be difficult. Radios in the valve era were largely domestically produced, even in small countries like Ireland. The only manufacturer to export worldwide on a large scale was Grundig, because it produced large expensive sets which were less vulnerable to the import taxes which most countries imposed.

I'm sure a forum member would be prepared to send Frank a British wreck for this project, but this would be less useful to people in continental Europe and (particularly) the US where such sets are very rare.

Murphy did export a lot of sets to Switzerland though, for no obvious reason that I know of, so their radios may be more common in mainland Europe. My A684 has a socket marked 'Swiss LW' for connection to some sort of wired distribution system used there: http://www.******************************/A674.jpg

A Philips set may be a possible choice. Philips made electrically similar designs in many of their factories across the world, with modifications for the local market. The 'Philetta' models common in Europe were never made in the British or Irish factories though.

Good luck Frank!

Best regards, Paul