View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 8:14 am   #4
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Anyone for a group restoration project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
This is a good idea Frank, and would certainly help beginners. I would make 2 comments (and these are comments, not criticisms ):
Don't mind criticism at all, that is why I posted about my idea befor diving in.

Quote:
1. There is some danger that such a project will document every single thing that forum members can think of relating to radio restoration. This will be very discouraging for beginners, who typically simply want to make their radios work without exploding;
Yes, I have been thinking about that one as well. So far my best solution is to divide the 'encyclopedia' into a number of pages, each adressing a single issue, like replacing paper capacitors. Another page will deal with electrolytics etc.

Then, as time progresses, these pages should be sorted into two categories: One group are those items, which must be adressed before the set is used. The other are those details, which you are free to postpone to a later date if chomping at the bit to get the set running again.

Ie. if Group One is completed, then the set shouldn't explode, though performance is not guaranteed. (Paper and 'lytics replaced, voltages checked, contacts cleaned, obvious faults to look out for found and corrected etc.)

The second group of subjects can adress more advanced(?) subjects like cleaning/restoration of both interior and exterior, tuning, checking valve operating points in more detail and whatnot.

Quote:
2. I don't believe Loewe-Opta radios were ever officially marketed in the UK. Both mine and Paul's seem to be German 220V sets without a 240V transformer tap, and the brand is quite rare here. The construction techniques used in German radios of the 1950s are somewhat different to those used by domestic British manufacturers. Loewes are also quite cramped under the chassis which may make life difficult for a beginner. One of the 'simple' Grundigs may be a better choice as these *were* imported into the UK (and North America). The trouble with this is that even the 'simple' Grundigs are quite complex
Hmm, drats, thought I had it nailed there...

You are right about the cramped conditions below the chassis, had wondered about that one myself.

The Loewe Bella models are very common in Germany, and I was obviously fooled by two of the well known UK enthusiasts having one each as well. Of course I in particular wouldn't mind an excuse for finding yet another Grundig, but your reservations were also mine, save for the differences in construction. Hadn't thought about that.

Grundig did in fact make fairly largeish sets with a circuit very nearly identical to the Bella models, but I'm not sure how common they are. Would probably take me all of next week to locate one on German eBay.

So this probably calls for a decision:

I could try and find a semi-large Grundig with a similar circuit, even if it isn't too common. Less cramped, high quality construction and point-to-point wiring. This could serve as a guide to that to do and what components looks like, more than being something for others to replicate 1:1. Someone in the UK could then perhaps supply some closeup photographs of the major internal components of a typical UK set by Bush or something similar, with the intention of showing the major differences between German and British construction techniques. This would cover both bases.

- or -

I could find a British set to work on instead, like a Bush VHF something-or-other. I probably need a bit of guidance here.

The Bella could then be saved for some of the more advanced technique pages, like working on old PCBs without ruining them, working in cramped quarters etc.

Comments and critique welcome.

Frank N.