View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2020, 1:16 pm   #70
Kyle__B
Banned

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I was just coming here to ask about powering the modulator. Whats the best way to test for whT power it needs? There's still the issue of how to get the power into it. Obviously it gets it through the port connector by default.
Making up a cable would solve this for you, as I said power bricks that do both 5 and 12v are available and we'll rob it from there.

Quote:
I need to know which pins accept the rgb in, on the modulator, and out on the Next's vga connector. After that it should just be a case of getting an old scart lead and changing the ends?
Seems like you're greener than I expected, you need to google for pinouts. "Amiga video pinout" and "vga pinout". Although if the spectrum next works with a scart cable then it's going to have a composite sync pin on there too. Best ask someone who owns one what the pinout of that is.

Quote:
Regarding the modulator on the Amiga itself, someone told me once thT it was possible to use the a500+ that i have without it, as the amiga itself apparently outputs rgb. A custom cable with a scart on ghe other end could get around the need to use the modulator at all. That would be a big advantage to me simply because the modulator causes so much inconvenience sticking out the back of the machine in it's manner. Causes real space issues.
Yes of course you can, and in fact you should have done a long time ago. The Amiga video socket is RGB like you get on a SCART connector. Commodore wanted you to use one of their very nice proper computer monitors, and so didn't include a modulator inside the computer. The A520 being such a horrible inconvenience and waste of space is intentional, as was it originally being a £75 optional extra. The idea being that people would recognize it was expensive and rubbish and then £275 on a real monitor wouldn't seem so bad.

As a long time Amiga user I don't understand how people ever used the A520, it's so blurry it's almost impossible to read what the programs say. As it is an Amiga RGB SCART cable is about twelve euros online, plus postage.

Last edited by Kyle__B; 16th Apr 2020 at 1:22 pm.