View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2018, 5:48 pm   #71
Bomber county
Pentode

Default Re: I hate Steampunk AVOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Even a 1954 aircraft autostabiliser test set is offered with 2 lamps sticking out of the top!
LOL, That's one of mine so "guilty as charged"...... It really is absolutely stuffed on the inside though having been in one of John Birkett's leaky sheds for a number of years. Even the rotary switches have rusted solid, one gauge is held together with polyurethene adhesive and the needles are stuck solid on the others. On the plus side though apart from 3 5/16" holes in the wooden case it is completely untouched on the inside and could in theory at least be put back into usable condition (with a huge amount of work) or be used for spares at a later date. I just liked the look of it but the wife wouldn't let me have it on display in the house unless I "steampunked" it.....

I went to the shed this morning with a sorry looking semi complete 50 pence purchase AVO Mk7 in one hand and a brass lamp holder in the other then got distracted by other things so it got a temporary reprieve but she keeps moaning because she can't see to read in bed and Ikea have nothing I like.....

The biggest steampunk event in Europe is in Lincoln on august bank holiday weekend every year. Well worth a look just to see how many blue LED stuffed valves and meters you can spot in inappropriate places!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02181.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	174384