View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2012, 7:37 pm   #11
tubesrule
Hexode

Default Re: Auroras at Crowthorne Tubes

It is true that Gerry at Crowthorne Tubes is now the official place to go for Aurora converters in the UK. We're working through the pains of all the paperwork, and you can still obtain them directly from the Aurora website, but this looks like it will be the best solution for people in the UK. No more unknown customs fees or handling charges.

The only confirmed failures I can think of with these converters after 6 years and more than 500 units shipped are the two Jeff mentioned. One was an intermittent short inside the F connector. The person who had this converter did a wonderful job dissecting the connector and finding a sliver of metal from when it was manufactured inside the connector. The other was an unsoldered pin that was intermittent on the FPGA.
I think twice over the years I sent out the wrong model, but caught the error right away and shipped out the correct unit.
There was an initial intermittent failure on a WC-01 due to an unsoldered part, and one of the original Multi-Standard units got a blown video output when 180V from a valve amplifier got into it

Darryl