Old 1st Oct 2020, 3:46 pm   #14
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Unused Fidelity RAD24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Not sure how old it is but i remember having a similar Fidelity [only difference was it had conical knobs] back in the early 70s
That sounds like a Rad 12, I had one way back when. Controls and everything else in the same positions as on the 24, but the early version of the 12, with those conical knobs that were originally silvered, seems to have become fairly scarce - I could only find one photo and that's missing a knob.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...stor-Radio.jpg

I think that's one of the models that started out in a padded wooden cabinet then was changed to a plastic one of almost identical appearance, just as they did with the Rad 11.
A RAD 12 with the silver conical knobs was the first brand new radio I owned - it was a Christmas gift from my parents in 1971. Mine was in black with a plastic cabinet and hardboard rear panel covered in padded rexine at the sides and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
My Aunt used to have one in the 1980s, which was one of the reasons I bought one a few years ago. It's a little worn around the edges but still works alright.

These were made after 1978 as Radio 4 is on 15000 metres LW.
The picture of the guarantee for this set appears to have a "79" date, so that seems correct.

John