View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2020, 6:37 pm   #28
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Tropo lift weekend of 19-20th Sep (2020)

I'm sure there is a tool for showing the lie of the land between two points, for exactly the purpose we want it for, but I can't recall what it is or where to find it. Of course for that to be really useful we'd really need to know exactly where the other station was located but if you combine the first part of the location ('Slieve') with the height which I remember was 1700 (and something) feet, that narrows it down quite a bit, especially if we go with the assumption that there is good / easy access to the summit.

I had already realised that the path was more or less east-west but your line shows the path heading down the line of the pass over which the A66 runs, although even there the summit of the pass (Stainmore) is at 1300+ feet. That may explain why the Pennines aren't the great obstacle I assumed they would be.

If this is a regular 'spot' for this station I may have other opportunities to hear him, if not work him, on forthcoming weekends, and if I do I'll try to listen more carefully for where he says he is.

Problem was he was running it like a local (to him) net so every time he invited another call he was naturally answered by someone elsewhere in NI or the Republic with a much stronger signal than mine. I only finally got in when he was just about to wind down. If he would ask, every now and again, for calls only from Southern EI / From GM / From GW / From GD / From G, I think he would be surprised to find how far his signal is actually going.

P.S> you can attach almost any type of file if you put it into a .zip file, as long as the .zip file does not exceed the maximum allowed size for a .zip file.