View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2020, 6:15 pm   #47
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: My first foray into Old model TV repairs.

Hello Graham, I have re-stuffed the can two 47uF at 450 Volts and a 10uF at 400Volts have replaced the internals, I removed the tags and stuck the wires through the holes as there was no way I could solder to the aluminium wires. The date on the can was viewable after removal and showed November 1953. So points at a 1954 set which would be 5 years older than me.

John, I guess now is the time for me to look at the wax capacitors and start a replacement plan, there is also, I think four electrolitics underneath the chassis that I may as well replace, generally 25 and 50 volt.

I have left the set unpowered now for a few hours and will stick a crock clip onto the anode of the EY51 to the outer contact for the width control and use the buck converter, may as well use the Avo to monitor now I have it working again. Start at 20mA and work up checking at 30 minute intervals.

Then time to spend looking at cap values for replacements of the waxes. The larger smoothing cap is probably also going to get replaced as I am now seeing good signs, will have a look through CPC and Farnell etc for stock.

Adrian