View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2020, 5:42 pm   #11
Jimbo
Pentode

Default Re: CR-70A receiver Checkout

According to the instruction leaflet for my Codar Mini Clipper, The Codar Radio Company hailed from Bank House,Southwick Square, Southwick Sussex. Their headed paper had the call-signs of G3IRE and G3HGQ, but since I had the Mini Clipper as a Christmas gift from my parents in 1966, I would rather expect that these two are 'silent keys' by now. The letter head also listed Codar Radio of Canada in Tweed Ontario. I believe this information has been posted in earlier threads.

I too longed to own a CR70A, but it was way beyond the scope of a 12 year old schoolboy's pocket money, - it took a fair bit of saving to afford the bandspread tuning capacitor and the audio amplifier that were both optional extras for the basic Mini Clipper!

I built the radio on the dining room table with my Dad's 15 watt 'Remploy' soldering iron and had hours of fun with it, -the beginning of a lifetime's interest in radio and electronics.

I think it was the cost of the 69 volt batteries that caused the Mini Clipper to be put in a cupboard for more than 40 years until I discovered this Forum and built the excellent 'Power Supply for Battery Valve Radios' on the '.com' partner of the '.net' site.

All good fun.