View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2012, 11:14 pm   #101
unabridged
Tetrode

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
2. W&G used to make sockets with shutters that twisted sideways when a plug was inserted. OK with ungrooved earth pins, but grooved Crabtree plugs would get stuck and could not be removed. I know, 'cos I've done it!
Cheers, Pete

Four years ago, back when I was in Sixth Form, we used to help our friend's Grandad out every few weeks by mowing his lawn on our lunch break, as he lived just down from school. I often used to take up the task of strimming with his Homebase strimmer. To power up, we had to plug into a 5A socket in the side passage, into which the man had a 5A to 13A socket flylead permanently plugged in. At the time I thought nothing of it, as it was an old estate and even my school had employed the odd 15 or 5A to 13A socket adapters in older parts.

And that was that. A few years later however I received a phone call from a completely unrelated friend, who had nothing to do with my school, schoolfriends nor the Grandad in question. Dave informed me that he had bought a new house and there was some old electrical paraphernalia that I was welcome to if I wished. When he told me where his house was, I was amazed and shocked to discover it was the house I used to mow the lawn at!

I went down and explained to Dave that coincidentally, I used to mow the lawn here. Low and behold the old 5A socket and adapter were still in situ. Dave allowed me to have the entire setup.

All that aside, I believe it is the type you describe with rotating shutters, quite odd I thought on such an old fitting! Will get a photo of it up on here tomorrow.

Dave also gave me an amazing 1930's electric drill that was in the loft there that looks like an airship!