View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2022, 3:27 pm   #1
Peterb396
Diode

Default Philips 141U. New member - peterb396.

Hi guy's, just joined and after many decades of working I am looking to the facinating field of vintage radio.
My first purchase from a antique/house clearence shop is a Phillips 141U radio which caught my eye.
The unit appeared to be in a decent condition so for £15 bought it,
Arrival home the case although grubby was in good nick. On stripdown the rear panel had a small piece broken off the corner and one of the base cover screws were missing.
After carefull removal of panels etc the chassis was out of the casing on my workbench, very grubby but looked intact & no sign of interference from outside bodies, until now
The fact that the mains plug was missing stated that there will be a fault so I proceded with caution, (live chassis high power caps etc).
After examining the unit, I gently eased out the valves, (hard to do with one hand in your pocket) and proceded to do a basic cean up of the chassis.
All looked fine so plucked up the courage fitted a mains plug and through a protected circuit I decided bang or success.
Nothing......then idea, valves need to warm up....minutes later noise from the speaker. Twiddled the controls, volume/on off, tuner eventually got audio & music which didn't sound bad at all; all the time using my senses.
Now the bad part, after about 10 mins of dancing round the room...
Phuuff, the unit died....on inspection...wait for it...blown capacitor, (black tar) . I'd pre-cursered the internet and managed to download a circuit from another site and guessed it to be C32 which had blown.
Further reading on your threads had lead me in the direction of the need to replace this cap & all other black caps. My problem is due to my initial comment I have a limited supply of this type of component so my question is are they all electrolytic type or standard paper and where can I obtain a replacement set of them, or if any of you guy's can supply me with a set, (cash & postage uk) that would be fantastic. I can then start to take readings & see if there are any other faults. In the mean time I'll concentrate on the cabinet and continue reading up on past and future posts
Regards peterb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220725_072301.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	261730