View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2019, 11:28 pm   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips to close last UK Factory.(Glemsford)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjmann View Post
Thanks Maarten for the correction over this. Perhaps I should have said it's just the Philips name that continues on Tv's! i.e. Bush et al. I read about TPV from some sales info at the time over the split you mentioned (2012). One of the key points was that the quality of the hospital monitors would be now in the domestic products....
Strange thing is that I've never seen a hospital like quality in any of their domestic products, before or after the take over. Their last generation CRT monitors looked very sloppyly built compared to the last generation of Philips Taiwan monitors and the LCD monitors seem to be somewhere in between the former Philips and former TPV quality. A far cry from the high end sets from Italy that have sporadically made it to the home and signage market. Their TV sets seem mediocre and have inherited both the Philips and TPV weak points. I see, or at least imagine to see, slow improvement. TP Vision have decided to take up firmware writing themselves and have even kept some of their Belgian development staff. They may in the end do better than Philips, but for the coming years it seems Samsug will have the best position to market their sets.

Surprise: Samsung does almost everything themselves, just as Philips did when they were the go to decent quality brand. It seems to work very well for them. Maybe they even had a look at Philips history.