View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2022, 12:05 pm   #218
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: 6-gang FM stereo tuner heads

Quote:
Thanks. I will have to order 0.4mm copper sheet. Can't i use double-sided copper clad PCB boards? I used up all my 0.4mm copper sheets for the ground solder points of my valve 6-gang FM tuner with its aluminum chassis. I have a 500C temp controlled solder station and some fat tips but I must say it is a little tricky to solder thick copper sheets even I have some special solder flux. I have a micro solder blow torch, but the flame is so hot that it just vaporizes everything!
Yes, you could try having a vertical PCB screen between the resonator and the probe and then fit this onto another bit of spare PCB. Just have some sort of mouse hole or peep hole at a suitable height in the vertical PCB wall. This way you don't need to use copper sheet and it will be much easier to solder it all.

It would look a lot neater as well.

My version was just a lashup and it took a few minutes to bend the metal and solder it all together.

I can put the 1pF and 5.6pF ATC/PPI caps in the post to you FOC if that helps? I have a few spare ones. These SMD caps are physically very rugged, and you don't have to worry about the end caps cracking off unless they are really stressed. They have ultra-low ESR up at VHF.